Small Moments

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Starbucks Moments

John with blue eyes asks me randomly if I am Iranian, as I sip my tall double latte.

- Yes, but how do you know? I don't look typical Iranian?

- Oh, I can tell from the beautiful eyes. "Sharghi"...I lived there before the Shah left. For three years, right on Takhteh Jamsheed. It was fantastic, best years of my life...the people, the food...wow. We used to go to the Caspian Sea. When were you there last?

- 8 years ago. I really want to go back soon though. I hear things have changed.

- You in school?

- No, I am done with school.

- Oh, what do you do.

- I am a lawyer.

- Oh Khanoom Vakeel? but you are a bacheh! How old are you?!!!

- Oh I am old enough to be a done. I look young with no makeup.

- My God, amazing. Yes, I miss Iran. Too bad with what happened and the politicians today. We have a Divooneh president there and a Divooneh President here...

We chat a bit more while he reminisces over Lubia Polo and Ghormeh Sabzi and Nooneh Tazeh.

Then I give him my card so maybe a client or two will come out of him.

The eyes...they give it away.

I like my Starbucks encounters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home