Small Moments

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Today's Mail is Ready

Finally, I have gotten some nerves to write this piece and talk shit behind her back since she is not here. Since she is gone to Cancun this week with her lawyer husband....

Every day, she sends an e-mail...ONE e-mail saying "Today's mail is ready". It comes around 2-3 p.m. I don't even open the e-mail b/c every day, it's the same. A while ago, I heard some obnoxious guys at work had started to forward her e-mail. As a joke of course. So you would get a FWD: Today’s mail is ready, a few minutes after she sent the first e-mail.

I envy her sometimes, envy her simple tasks during the day, picking up the phone, saying "Good morning X....Y....Z law firm" and these simple e-mails. Once I heard someone say that she spends her weekends in bed reading a book. I envy her being able to do that. I know she loves books. A couple of times, we discussed some books, like the Kite Runner or some other books related to the Middle East since she has married an Iranian man, she is "interested in the culture."

I wonder how it feels like to be her. To marry someone who will just take care of you and support you...to leave the office at 5 p.m. b/c that's when your work hour ends, and not to be expected to come in on the weekends. After all...her simple tasks will not be necessary on the weekends. That's how she gets to be in bed...reading.

I wonder if she is happy with her life sometimes? She doesn't seem happy. She seems like she wants more, like she would want her own office, like if she had been given the chance, she would have gone to school...she would have been a lawyer maybe...

What if she envies me? What if she wishes she was given a key to the office and could just drop by Sat. or Sunday or Wed. at 9p.m.? What if she envies me being able to go to calendar meetings? or go to San Diego to bet on horse races and entertain stupid clients...since only the lawyers get to do that? In fact, I saw her drop off her husband last year for our train to San Diego...then she sped off.

No...really, what if SHE envies me? That would be f*&^%ing hilarious!

1 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger Sh. said...

u can write.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home