Small Moments

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

In the Business of Words

One sunny day in early spring of 2001, in the afternoon sometime, I met with professor V to get help on my legal writing assignment. He was a Professor of law who did pro bono cases only and volunteered his time to help students with their writing. Interesting man...

When we met, we chatted about small things too, like the fact that he likes urban places and would love to visit Tehran one day! Then, he read my draft and told me something I will never forget: "words are a lawyer's fighting tools--they are your sword and rifle. Just like a stethoscope is a fighting tool of a physician. Learn how to use them wisely."

As I sit in my office, six year later, I now know what he meant. At times, I spent a good 5 minutes debating if I should use "and" V. "or" v. "and/or". When I draft a motion and argue a case law, and read and re-read and edit and read once for commas and once for periods and once for spacing and on and on...I remind myself of the heart surgeon who operated on my Dad four years ago...one little nerve, one small vain and my Dad could have died. Small things matter when you are fighting.

When you are in the Business of Words, every comma counts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home