Small Moments

Friday, October 19, 2007

Mega Friday

I have been buying my mega from this gas station in Fullerton, on the corner of Harbor and Berkeley, on my way to work for the past two and a half months, every single Tuesday and Friday. Naturally, the gas station attendant has gotten to know me and what I want. $1 Mega. That's all.

Last night, I was waiting at another gas station and has some time to kill. Thought i should just buy my Friday Mega and get it over with. But I remembered him, and thought, what if he waits for me and starts to worry about me? Besides, it's bad luck to buy the ticket the day before. So I decided against it.

This morning, as I walked inside the store and stood in line behind this lady, he saw me and smiled. By the time, I walked up to him, he had my Mega ready. I smiled. I told him i am going to win one day, and if I win, they win. (And that would be a "win/win" situation--what a cliche.)

And that's how you build the most ordinary relationships in the world, ladies and gentlemen.

That's what my Dad did with every single human being he met. He called everybody "buddy" or "amigo". I am sure he is still doing it today, as he rides the taxis, and buses, and metros and mini-booses of Tehran.

I miss my Dad so much. Sometimes, I buy Mega just for him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home