Small Moments

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Oneness to come soon

An ordinary Saturday morning starts out with a small chat with the roommate. I am undecided if I should eat breakfast or not so I take a shower first, get ready and then once almost out the door, I decide I am hungry. So two toasts and a half a tea cup later, I am out the door.

The young girl at the bank remembers me from yesterday's transaction. I notice her hands are a little puffy and she wears the tiniest ring with the tiniest diamond on her hand.

I love this office even more on Saturdays when the only other person, a male paralegal in his 60's, is not here. If every day was like a quiet beautiful Saturday like this, I would then work really well every day...except that when it's not a Saturday, the air is tense.

I hate tense.

The client who comes in is waiting for her green card to be filed by me. She asks me how long it may take because her father is sick back home and she wants to go back to see him. Her friend who was in the similar situation, her father passed away. The immigration papers didn't come through on time.

Yeah, immigration doesn't really care for your sick family whom you left behind back home.

All her hope for going back is in my hands. She can't thank me enough.

There will be a day, on this planet Earth, that we will no longer have a need for authorization to travel around. We will recognize our oneness, our globalness, and banish all immigration paperwork. Of course, on that day I would have to go back to practicing either family law or just become a full-time writer.

In the meantime, I should go back to filling out the immigration forms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home